Starting a new blog can be very exciting, you have so much you want to share with the world. But the question is, what do you want to focus your blog on?
What Niche To Blog About? It’s best to blog about a niche where you already have an interest, that way you have existing knowledge to draw from. Avoid niches in Finance, Health, and Technology as they are too competitive or not Evergreen content.
But what is a niche to begin with? And how do you focus on just one thing? To do so, you should take the following steps:
Niches are Specific
What is a niche and how do you find one? The definition of a niche is a specific topic narrowed down from a broader topic. For example:
- You want to blog about making money online. But that is a very broad topic, it needs to be more specific.
- Narrow it down to making money online by blogging. That is still too broad of a topic, it needs to be narrowed down some more.
- Are you going to write about a specific blogging platform to make money from?
- What about making money online by using advertisements on WordPress? That is a pretty specific topic.
- Or you can talk about selling an eBook, or joining affiliate programs.
- Get your topic as specific as possible. Focus your blog on that one topic and build it around that.
How Do I Get a Niche?
So, you have many interests and topics you are well versed in. Which one do you choose first? You need to think about what you are passionate about.
- Do you like cars? Or maybe video gaming? Are you a pet owner? Or maybe a parent?
- Those are all good, broad topics to start with.
- You can find your niche by narrowing your passion down to one topic to be more specific.
Passion is Key
Now you need to think of that specific topic you came up with and decide just how passionate and knowledgeable you are about it. What exactly do you know about it?
- Say you are a pet owner and your topic is cats.
- What do you know about cats?
- How to care for them? Or maybe their specific behaviors and what they mean?
- Just how passionate are you about cats?
- How many potential readers would be passionate about cats?
- Can you make money blogging about cats?
All these points are important to think about. It will determine if it is even worth blogging about. If you cannot say yes to any of these questions, you need to choose a new niche.
If you choose a topic you are not very passionate about, but you know a lot about it, you will struggle to write your blog posts. If you are not excited about cars, but you work on them in real life, then blogging about them will end up becoming boring.
Did You Choose a Good Niche?
Ask yourself these questions after choosing your niche:
- Will I still be interested in this topic a year from now?
- Are there people interested in my topic?
- Will I be able to make money from my blog?
All these questions are important to consider, especially if you are looking for readers and to make money.
However, avoid these topics, because they are really competitive:
Just How Passionate Are You?
Once you pick a topic you are passionate about, you need to make sure you could keep blogging about it years and many blog posts later.
If you are not passionate about this topic, you may start with 5 or 6 blog posts a week. But soon you will reach burn out. Then your topic ends up being one blog post per week.
Once you start getting bored with the topic, your posts will end up being once a month. Your blog post ideas will end up fizzling out and you will stop posting.
You will lose followers along the way. You will end up losing money too.
You do not want to end up like this, so make sure you are passionate about your topic.
Are People Interested in My Topic?
How many people read about cats? Or pet care? Do people care about your topic?
- Make sure your topic is interesting enough and that people will want to read about it.
- You can do this by going to Google Trends and typing in your keyword.
- Google Trends will tell you if people search for your topic or not.
- What does your keyword come up with?
- Do people search for your topic?
If the answer is yes, then you have hit gold. You have a great topic that you are passionate about and that other people would read about. This is great!
However, if your topic is not searched for often, you need to pick a new niche. People will not read a blog that they are not searching for, which means you will not make money.
Will I Make Money from My Topic?
If you looked through Google Trends and got a high ranking on your topic, then the answer will probably be yes.
But first, you need to find out how blogs like yours make money.
- What does the layout of their blog look like?
- Do they have advertisements?
- Where is their ads banner located on their website?
- Do they write about affiliate products?
- Or do they have their own products to sell?
This will help you figure out what you want to do with your blog to make money.
Ways to Make Money on Your Blog
There are a few ways you can make money by blogging, but what are they?
- First, go to Amazon and see which products are the most popular.
- If you find eBooks that are popular, can you make one like those yourself?
- If not, maybe you should sell someone else’s product.
- Check out affiliate programs.
- Find ones that sell, Amazon is a good option for this.
- Figure out what other stores are big for affiliates, by googling a store’s name and the word affiliate.
- Did you find some programs that would work for you? It is best to make sure the stores sell products relevant to your blog.
- You would not want to sell dog food on a cat blog.
- Can you come up with your own product related to your blog?
- Can you write a book, or make jewelry, relevant to your niche?
- You could also come up with an online course that is related to your niche.
- Top 10 Ways to Sell This Product would work on a blog that is about a certain product that people are looking to make money from.
This way, people will read your blog, then buy your e-course or eBook. They will see your blog as a plethora of information, which will entice them to read your book or join your course. This will help you make money off your blog while sharing the information that you are passionate about.
What Topics Are Good to Blog About?
Here is a list of some ideas that would work for making money.
- Pets (Cats, Dogs)
- Small Pets (Hamsters, Rats, Gerbils)
- Cooking tips
- Social Media
- Living Abroad
And there are many more niches out there, you should just find the one that you are passionate about. You also need to make sure you can make money from it, just how popular is your niche?